Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Experimenting with Motion Blur



I enjoy experimenting when I photograph.  Using motion blur is a fun way to do that. You never know exactly what you'll get ...you might have a pretty good idea ...but often you can capture unexpected surprises! Below are some different  examples.



This is an image that I took looking out of a train window while traveling in England. I used a shutter speed that was long enough to blur the background. The ghosted reflection of a passenger on the train appears in a passing tree! 

In this image I deliberately used a shutter speed that would blur the people. This was taken under street lights in the evening in Sicily.

Here is a sunset. I just panned my camera sideways as I made this image. I used the smallest aperture possible so that I could lengthen the exposure time and thus achieve some blurring. I like the softness and blending of the colors.


Here I panned my camera upwards. This is an image I have used as one of the backgrounds in a digital collage.      ...See below


When creating digital collages in Photoshop I play with the layer blending modes in order to achieve the look I desire. This collage has four layers that have been blended together.

1 comment: