Sunday, August 28, 2011

Photographing trees at Miami's Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden


Today it was a hot and humid Sunday in Miami, but I was determined to have some fun with my camera! I decided to use the weekly assignment suggested by DPS (Digital Photography School) as my inspiration. DPS is an Internet site that is comprised of a community of photographers of all experience levels who get together on-line to learn, share and grow in their understanding of photography. The assignment was to photograph trees, but in a unique way. So, I decided to go to Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden and see what I could do!  Fairchild is a really beautiful 83 acre Garden and is a popular Miami tourist attraction and also one of my favorite places to photograph nature.  Below are three of my attempts to do something a little different.

This is an image of a Cannonball tree with it's amazing flowers.
I used a 70-200mm lens and zoomed in as I took the photograph. 


Here is a reflection of some palm trees


This is an image of  single palm tree. Again I zoomed in as I took the photo.

What I liked about this assignment was that it made me take chances and try some different techniques.  I'm not saying I think these are amazing images, but for me this was fun and a useful challenge!

Below are links to:
Digital Photography School  and Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden 


2 comments:

  1. The zooming in technique is very interesting! How would it look if you used the same technique but zoomed out instead?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zooming out would create a similar image. The goal, for me, was to keep the center as focused as possible! It took some trial and error shots before I found an image I liked!!

    ReplyDelete