Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Beginning




Today I start my blog to document my journey in the world of freelance photography. Though I originally trained as a nurse, my passion has always been photography. As a nurse I did enjoy the close interaction with people and the feeling that I made a difference in people's lives. However, I chose nursing because it was the smart choice. It guaranteed me a job. It was safe. Thus, photography became my hobby, too risky for a career. After marriage I became a stay at home mom and felt privileged for that opportunity. Today, divorced with both my children successful and independent, I pursue my passion of photography.  For the past ten years I have dedicated my free time to learning all I can about photography!  There are so many resources available. I have taken classes at the local University and Community College, studied from books and educational DVDs, Taken on-line classes, and attended some amazing workshops taught by well known photographers and digital artists. I am never without a camera and use every opportunity to advance my skills. I’m often told I should focus on one area of photography, but I find that impossible as all photography excites me …landscape, portrait, action, documentary, abstract and on and on!  Not only do I enjoy the actual taking of the photograph, or making of the photograph (as one should say) but I also enjoy bringing that image into the digital darkroom called Photoshop. That is where I have fun and experiment as an artist. Not every image needs to be or should be manipulated, but I love the freedom of being able to play with ideas. Some ideas are winners and others provide lessons on what not to do!!! So that brings me to today. Currently I take on small jobs of my choosing such as Senior Portraits, Family Portraits, Children’s sporting events etc. I create promotional brochures for artists and events and I do photo restorations. I’m also skilled at HDR photography which is useful when I photograph architecture and interiors. My fine art images are now being sold at a local gallery. But, above all, photography is my passion. It excites me and that is why I want to share my story.

1 comment:

  1. I am looking forward to your next blog entry! Will you be posting any of your photographs?

    ReplyDelete